Monday, October 13, 2008

How To: Get Published

One question that I get asked frequently is, "How do I get published in Nails, Nailpro or Scratch Magazines?". For most nail technicians it is the end all be all for stardom.

I'll never forget the first time I saw my name in a magazine. I was telling the other Nail Techs at beautytech.com how I display my nail art. An editor / lurker of the mailing list contacted me directly and asked me to tell her more. I had a nail table specially built with a sunk in center. The top was glass and allowed me easy access to display my nail art and change my display for each holiday or season. A few months later, there it was... a picture of my table and my name in print. I framed the cover and article then hung it on my wall for all to see. I was so excited I could have built a shrine around it!

So my first suggestion is to utilize networks. The editors are always looking for a story. It is probably one of the hardest parts of their jobs. It can't be easy coming up with topics and content so frequently. Beautytech.com's mailing list or message boards are a good place to start. Another (granted it is based out of England but still a great source for the editors) thenailgeek.com .

My second suggestion, start a Blog. It only took a couple of days (after creating this blog) for Sree Roy from Nails to contact me about my blog. She stumbled on it (God only knows how!) and wanted to link my blog address to "what the editors are reading". So you KNOW they are out there looking. Blogger.com is owned by Google and offer free hosting. If you do a free blog search you can also find many, many more.

Third, utilize the net. You can go to any Industry Magazine website and see the entire list of editors + email address under "contact us". Send them your ideas and offer a contribution to their article. OR ask them if there is an article that you can offer some content on. You may even be able to get on their mailing list of contacts for future articles.

Send in your images. Either by email or snail mail a disk. If it is a cover you're after, don't be afraid to ask what you need to provide (resume or images) in order to be considered for a cover. All three magazines I've listed (Nails, Nailpro and Scratch) have had or do annual cover contests. Submit your best work. KEEP in mind (while shooting your image) to keep the image taller than wide and imagine where their Magazine name and blurbs will go. Things like this matter in a cover contest. They need the image to work with their layout.

And finally (though I am sure I'll think of more ways) get to the beauty shows and network. The magazines usually have a booth at most of the major shows. Here's your chance to meet face to face and sell your award winning personality that made you a successful nail technician!!!

Nothing is out of your reach. It is just how far you are willing to extend your arm, that will determine your outcome.

Elaine
(writing from Valencia, CA today)

No comments: